Thursday 16 February 2017

Walking the Meanwood Valley Trail

The Meanwood Valley Trail is a 7 mile walk from the edge of Leeds city centre to Golden Acre Park in north Leeds - if you don`t get misdirected by helpful bystanders on the way!
It starts at the junction of raglan Road / Woodhouse Moor at the statue of Alderman Henry Marsden,a Holbeck mill hand who came a Liberal MP and LordMayor of Leeds.
Probably the worst sign of the route marks the start!
Alderman Henry Marsden statue



 Plenty of signs mark the way as you hit Woodhouse Ridge from the end of Delph Mount - but not all saying the Meanwood Valley Trail!


The official Leeds City Council leaflet will keep you right - mostly!http://www.leeds.gov.uk/docs/MVT%20leaflet%20for%20web.pdf


My first error was to drop down from the top path of the Ridge too early. It matters not as all routes lead to Grove Lane, the next stage, except the very bottom path going down to Meanwood Road which should be avoided.





James Baillie University flats en route and below the beck and meadows. Woodhouse Ridge was a gift to the people of Leeds in 1876, with Batty`s Wood added in 1901. The Victorians promenaded here and there was once a bandstand there as per the information boards.











Grove Lane to cross next with more information boards telling you about the wild flower meadows and work done to attract bats into the area around the Tanneries. First bit of plantlife here in a very wet winter with snowdrops and crocus scattered in the woodland.


Grove Lane




At this point you will bypassTannery Park - the site of the former Meanwood Tannery
built in 1857 by the brewer, Sam Smith. Prior to this it was a paper mill called Wood
Mills and the probable location of a medieval corn mill which serviced Kirkstall Abbey. 

Wildlife on the pond


An old tree house

Signage continues well for the Meanwood Park element



Mud was starting to be a problem!

The Mill Pond


Nothing for me today!



Well kept allotments

A cruel jibe! Could have done with a pint.

Always liked this house at entrance to Meanwood Park

Site of an unpopular planning proposal by the Headingley Rugby Union owners fo housing. Rejected!


More snowdrops


Popular with walking groups

Meanwood Park Cafe

Meanwood Park Cafe was added to the park just over 2 years ago, Stefan and his staff provide a geat spot for snacks with play facilities for the kids. I can recommend the cakes and samosas!




This little area by the Ranger`s hut and cafe highlights the story of the Oates family who owned the Meanwood site before it was bought by the city in 1954. Edward Oates bought up the land in this area developing an American garden and variety of waterfalls and pools, only one of which  (Henry`s Pool) still exists today. The famous son of the Oates family was Captain Lawrence Oates who was a member of the ill-fated 1910-12 expedition to the South Pole under Captain Scott. As food supplies ran down he stepped outside on his 32nd birthday saying the immortal words "I am just going outside and may be some time". His body ws never found but serves as a great example of self sacrifice. I felt just like him at times on this trail as I struggled to follow the route where signage failed!



This marks the start of the 2nd stretch of the walk taking you to Seven Arches in Adel, just under the halfway mark of the trail at this point.

I`m guessing some sort of orienteering course

One of the Clapper Bridges built by Edward Oates

Dog walkers abound.

Henry`s pond and the ducks

Hustlers Row beyond the bridge were the  homes for the Tannery workers.
A favourite of our family where we took children to race Pooh sticks...very slowly!




Always think this guy enjoyed emptying the bottles for this work of art!



Highlight of my day was to see the kingfisher. People had oft told me that one patrolled the back here but having never seen a fish / crayfish I had doubted it...until today. He hesitated a while whilst I changed lensess swiftly!








Meanwood Park  and the trail here is my favourite element. I`ve often walked this section from my home, especailly beautiful in snow. At this point I got my best light of the day but it wasn`t to last!

Whilst others walked dogs some took the route the easy way.

This lovely barn conversion by the ring road is a work in progress.

The next section was new to me. Whilst I knew there was an underpass under the outer Ring Road I had never known exactly where.




House that featured on Homes Under the Hammer some time back , then in a state of disrepair

The underpass


On the other side of the Ring Road it is called Adel beck


From this point the mud was excessive!

It slowed me up , but not others





Not many photos on the way to 7 Arches as I was too busy looking at my feet sliding in the mud! 
The ‘Seven Arches’ - Leeds’ first aqueduct, was built in 1840
to carry clean water from Eccup Reservoir to the rapidly growing city




It was at this point that the heavens opened and I got soaked as the mud swelled up around me!

Rain on the pond

The walk to Stairfoot Lane was bleak and wet and as I crossed the road to find half a dozen alternative routes I made the mistake of talking to some lads enjoying themsleves on the self crafted BMX track in the woods. They encouraged me to leave the track I had thought of taking and take an alternative which they thought was the route. So started a 1.5-2 mile detour to be avoided! If you go, go straight through the BMX track  and head towards King Lane past the golf course but don`t waste time looking for Meanwood Valley Trail signs. They sdo not exist!


The weather at least improved and I was able to make unplanned visits to a quarry and this little structure before finding the right route again.


 Once on King Lane the wind was in my face and the cold was beginning to bite. The track by the side of the road was at times unusable due to slippery mud and along with the Adel woods section was the bleakest part of the trek.


Don`t be tempted when seeing the owl to head off on the Country Way

Finally the gorgeous Golden Acre Park


Remnants of the old amusement park railway still present from the  50`s


Tea and Yorkshire Ginger Parkin - all that was available to me as they stopped doing hot food at 3.30pm!
Stop and chat over a drink


So that was it. My Meanwood Valley Trail trek was over. It should have been 7 miles of well signed walkway but was marred by mud and misdirection in the absence of signage that made it nearer to 9 for me. By the time I got on my bus into town from Golden Acre I was exhausted but glad I had accomplished this long held aim to do the whole trail in one go. Well worth it...why not give it a go! I aim to do the trail again , perhaps in spring but certainly in summer whn it should be a lot drier underfoot.

2 comments:

  1. Very good description Paul.I walked it today from Golden acre to woodhouse moor then got the bus back to Golden acre.Started at 09.20 and got to Woodhouse moor just after quarter past 1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danny. Well done. Must have been muddy in parts.

      Delete