Monday 8 August 2011

Tribute to the doors

So you may well ask - are you nuts or a fetishist?
 I`ve just come back from a week long Western Med cruise taking in Toulon / Villefranche in the south of France,Livorno and Civitaveccia for Pisa and Rome and Naples for a trip to Pompeii. Given my recent under-use of my camera I thought " Wow - great opportunities for some serious photography".

As we set off from Barcelona in thunder and lighting I thought  what would be my favourite bit that I must capture - the grandeur of the Pantheon and St Peter`s Square, the cast models of Pompeii victims  made by pouring plaster into the cavities left by their bodies rotting down in the volcanic lava / ash, the Leaning Tower of Pisa, the  great coastal views and sunsets?

No -  I liked shooting doors best and added to my collection of shots of distressed doors from France and Italy. A few examples:







Whilst not strictly meeting my strict brief of derelict doors I gave myself a little artistic license and could not resist this garage door in Villefranche with a plea not to park there.Of course a young French woman parked up as we stood there to go into a shop. Strictly speaking she broke the no parking by day day rule but as she was fully dressed and thus complied with the 2nd bit OK.



Of course I`d be a pretty sad individual if all I shot was doors on this expensive, luxury holiday so I branched out. I shot pictures of doors with windows!



Never knowing when to quit I resorted to windows only!

However this soon just was not enough and I decided they had to have bikes  with the windows or doors  to really work!




 But my favourite was just the bike on it`s own.



"Is that all you shot?"  you might ask. No - I mean I did get 900 or so other shots but in general they were your standard  fayre and the real struggle was getting shots without thousands of tourists in  the way - usually loud Americans. In the American vernacular I guess I could put a few up on flickr so watch out for that. The best thing is that now that my wife Sue has taken early retirement from teaching we need never do a school holiday trip again at rip off prices, suffering from the crowds so my variety of shots can only get better. Then again - there are so many interesting doors in the world .....

No comments:

Post a Comment