Tuesday 4 October 2011

I`m not getting to be a luvvie after all!

The Hepworth Museum











After recent posts extolling the virtues of Plensa at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, Chatsworth`s Beyond Limits  and the Coldstones Cut I was fearing that this Geordie lad with a love of football, beer, whippet and pigeon racing and leek shows was getting a bit poncey. A trip to the Hepworth Museum today has reassured me that I have not lost my northern roots that has previously had me being one of the Geordies scratching their head in the Baltic on the Newcastle quayside ( I refuse to recognise the Gateshead element) saying "Whey ye bugger what`s that aal aboot?".

A few quotes  summing up the art on offer:
"That`s a nice piece of wood ruined"
" I hope that coach party arriving have something else to do after half an hour in here"
"The toilets are the best bit"
" I like the stairways"
" I prefer the view out of the window" and that was Sue not me!

Admiring the view - it`s behind you Sue!


It was not all bad though. The cafe was very nice with great food and one or two pieces were nice to see. Photography policy? Only in galleries 4/5. Trouble was it was not always easy to know which galleries were 4/5 as the signposting / labelling was admitted to be poor. A Sunderland College were in with permission to shoot anyway to add to the confusion. You could tell which ones were from Sunderland. Apart from their photographer stickers they were the ones scratching their heads and saying "Whey ye bugger what`s that aal aboot?" in a strange southern style and crying in their drinks about recent results in the north east and comparisons with the mighty Magpies.

There was a nice structure outside too. If I could have been bothered by that stage I`d have looked to see what it was. Nice playground for the kids though and some new redevelopment in that area. It was absolutely packed with visitors. Photographically speaking best bits were outside with the imposing grey building and surrounding boatyard with curios sights to see.
Funniest bit of the day was on the drive back seeing a van which I joked was a case of the guy adding "the wife" onto the side of the van as a bit of an afterthought. I then saw she had the critical role of oversight over driving abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment