Saturday 8 October 2011

Leeds Light Night 2011

Only had time for a quick trip into town to see this years Light Night installations in Leeds city centre. As usual some very "individual" pieces of art that failed to get me excited but some great stuff too if you walked around and looked for it.
First stop was to see a little dancing in front of the gallery.





Next I found a knitted band on Lands Lane complete with drummer

A quick trip to the Howard assembly rooms followed shooting in virtual darkness as people sat and watched the screens and listened to music.
Down on Briggate a band struck up and then led a carnival group down the street.




As I passed the Light I mused that once more there seemed a lot of arty installations but very few I`d seen were to do with light.
Almost out of time I thought I`d pop back to Millenium Square which had been quiet earlier. The Civic hall had become a Tetris screen and a caravan of some sort of magic pills had drawn a long queue

Having had enough I set off home only to be attracted by the light of what was by far my favourite of the evening - the Leeds Met Students of Performing Arts and their excellent Masquerade. A brilliant show of light and magic illuminating Queen Square and showing what Light Night is all about - or should be for me.









 I did not give it enough time this year. If you don`t know Light Night check it out next year. I didn`t see the Prancing Pixies, the Monster Trespass or many of the other intriguingly named works but liked what I saw in the main and it brought a smile to people`s faces in these hard times.

No comments:

Post a Comment