Saturday 8 July 2017

Birthday Treat


Great birthday this year spending quality time with all my girls with the main highlights being Jessica coming to stay and wishing me Happy Birthday on the morning and Sue, Beth, Katie and Jessica taking me to West Yorkshire Safari Park later in the day. Wonderful times!
Quick cuddle with Auntie Beth before we set off

Where are we going?

Animals - can I take Gerry Giraffe?

As Katie set off on the A1 South I tried to make out that I believed we were off for a surprise visit to Pudsey Marks and Spencers which the girls know I love to visit! Within a few miles I`d guessed it was West Yorkshire Safari Park we were off to but I played dumb ... yes it came surprisingly easily to me! Forecasts of thunderstorms,which Sue read out to us ahead of departure were way wide of the mark and we had a really hot day. Shame that when Sue told us of the weather we had dressed in jeans with coats, Beth even putting her Uggs on, whilst Sue put on shorts and a light top!

Beth got us in on a reduced group rate and herself free of charge. One of a handful of perks for working for Jet 2 - I`ll tell you why / how later.

Once in the baboons were first, followed by the painted dogs, lemurs and the wallaby walkabout







Suckling

Little Joey


Passing the boar it was on to my favourites - the polar bears who we got a decent view of this time.









Lovely to watch these great animals and there seem to be more there now, roaming in a large area.
Picnic followed

Jessica didn`t know what to have first...

but decided on her bib!




A quick dance and we were off...



Cuddles with Gerry
The armadillo scurried around at high speed
and the giant otters were busy fishing
but the Sumatra tigers were the most beautiful for me




Trouble was that it was so hot that many of the animals were happy to just lounge around not doing much!

















You taking me to see the Amur leopard nana?

Really?

Err..., that`s not a real leopard Mummy?

Given the Amur leopard was to shy to show itself Lenny had to do!

That`s my leopard!



























Only the giraffes, lions and meerkats left to see now before Jessica needed to be home. The giraffes were not in their usual area which is lovely and enables you to see them really up high and close when they are there. We had to make do with distant views.


The two headed giraffe is one of their more rare breeds

Although they have 2




I mentioned Jet 2 staff discounts. This came about because in 2010 the Park rescued 13 lions from neglect in a zoo in Romania. Jet2 agreed to strip seats from a plane and put on a flight to bring them all here. One, the head of the pride,was named Jettoo Johnny i gratitude and from 2011 cuddly toy Jettoo Johnny`s were sold on board Jet 2 planes with some of the proceeds going to the wildlife park. Johnny has since died  and I don`t think you can now buy them on board. Anyway in gratitude for the support WYSP offer Jet 2 staff free entry with reduced rates if in a party and we were glad to benefit a little.
Beth with Jet 2 plaque

Unfortunately the lions slept through our visit!
Last but not least the meerkats



Loved these display giraffes but couldn`t buy one as it wouldn`t fit in the car with all Jessica`s stuff!


All in all a fantastic day and a fantastic gift. Lovely having all my girls up in Yorkshire and i`ll treasure days like these.





No comments:

Post a Comment